THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, July 19, 2010

First Riding Lesson & Why I should stop being a snob

I am a snob. Not in the hoity-toity sense but there are some things I just HAVE to have a certain way. I like the way I make coffee. I only drink bottled water. I prefer certain brands to others. The list goes on. While it's not something I am particularly proud of, I own it. It's one of my querks, and it is what it is. This morning while I was getting ready for my first riding lesson, I was getting worried that I wouldn't like it because we were going to be doing English style riding. I am pretty sure that I even mentioned this in my previous blog on the subject. I know next to nothing about horse back riding except trail riding. I have been on a horse a handful of times, all western-style riding, and only once did I have a "bad" experience. It wasn't that bad; the horse started to crow-hop and buck and I calculated the risk, contemplated the situation, and then jumped down before I could be bucked off. It was actually really fun.

Worried about riding style or not, upon arrival to the stables, I was introduced to Tex. Tex is a magnificant dark chocolate brown Quarter Horse and He is a bit taller than me at his shoulder. At first I was a little uneasy. These are big animals. Regardless of how "easy" they said the horses would be, they could still kill me if they wanted to. After combing him, though, I felt more relaxed & I think Tex had gotten a little used to me too. I never realized how different the two styles of riding are until today. Its not just the riding, its the tac & the saddle, the posture & muscles you ahve to use. It was way easier to put the english saddle on. Four buckles, thats it. Sitting in the saddle was different too. Without the horn to hold too, your left with your thighs and stomach muscles to hold yourself in place. Which means you have to use good posture and balance. Also, because you don't have the front of the saddle to lean your hands on, you have to hold the reins up, over the horses neck. I NEVER knew how much of a full body workout English riding is. We walked around the arena a bit and then it was time to trot... and post. Posting in English riding is when the rider stands and sits, so-to-speak, in the saddle. If you have been riding western your whole life, it is very interesting to try and post. When I first started posting, I felt I was working in opposition of the horse. But as I got more used to it, it actually felt right. Posting is where the full body workout comes in. It is supposed to be 105 today and between the heat and the posting, I was done! At one point my thighs were shaking from the workout of posting. After we finished in the arena, we took their saddles off, sponged the horses off and gave them cookies. Then we let them loose in the pasture. I thanked Tex profusely for the great ride ((and workout!)) and told him I would be back next week to see him. Then my friend and I both hugged our new instructor.

Being a snob means that I am often left standing with my foot in my mouth. This is one of those times. Driving away, I decided that I need to stop being such a snob; at least about some things. I am always open to trying new things, I just think I won't like them. I am going to work on that. As for Tex, I will see him again on Monday ;o)

0 comments: